About Me

NY, United States

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Will I ever see play as play and not therapy?

My job (or I should say my previous job) was working with little children with delays and disabilities. I taught the parents how to help their child in all areas of development, with behavior, and feeding. We did lots of problem solving, and many techniques were through trial-and-error. I did develop a tool box of tricks, and proven techniques.

Now that I have a child of my own, not a moment goes by where I don't think about what developmental skills we could be working on. Or which moment or skill reminds me of a previous client. This sure puts my brain on overload. I have been improving my self-talk, that it is okay to sit back and enjoy this time with Heidi and she will learn skills on her own. I have no developmental concerns at this point, and if some arise, I am equipped to figure them out, know what resources are out there, which friends to call, and I can help treat her if needed.

I am making an effort to see play as play time. We still have times where we work on developmentally appropriate skills for a 3 month old, such as tummy time, listening to stories and looking at pictures, holding toys, listening to music, and talking to each other. But I am purposely not counting minutes or repetitions per day on certain activities. The TV is on in the background at times (shocking!).

But she does have a preference for only rolling over her left shoulder, so we practice the right side as well. :) I can't give up all my training. I do take notice when she learns a new skill, such as bringing her hands together in mid-line on her back. Or holding a small toy in each hand. Or imitating facial gestures. Or when she makes a new sound. It will always be like this. But I do resist from doing developmental tests on her.


Picture time.

While we were in Boston for my sister's wedding, we took Heidi on her first subway ride. How's that for giving her new experiences and stimulating her senses?!
Laura and Heidi, Boston subway

 First time Heidi reached up to hold onto a toy without it being placed in her hand. She was confused, as she couldn't figure out how to let go.
Heidi holding onto a toy

At Daddy's graduation ceremony. We never expected to have a young daughter in this picture, but it was a wonderful experience.
Kelby's graduation ceremony




No comments:

Post a Comment