About Me

NY, United States

Monday, July 29, 2013

My brain...

Yes, I am well aware that it is 11:30pm and I should be sleeping. However, this afternoon I noticed a headache starting, and wanted to take preventative action. So I drank a cup of coffee from 4-8pm. A good decision in that my headache is now gone. A bad decision in that the caffeine is keeping me awake when I want to be sleeping. Especially since Heidi went down to bed at 8pm.

So what does one do when one can't sleep? Personally, I start thinking, and for the next month, moving and money will be on my brain, therefore that is what I think about. As I laid in bed, I started to contemplate our future budget once Kelby secures full-time employment in his field of choice. Before I knew it, I was out of bed and put pen to paper and figured out a hypothetical budget, based on a possible salary. Kelby thought I was strange for choosing to do this activity at this time of night, but so be it. (we balance each other in this regard - someone has to make a budget and stick to it!). We should have a little more flexibility in our future budget than now, but with a higher cost of living, state and federal income tax, and paying for student loans, we will be tighter than we would like. All for a season, I keep telling myself.

To follow up my previous post, Kelby noticed his lunch in the fridge. He remembered to take it to work the following morning, and even remembered to eat it for lunch. I would call that a success!

We (I mean mainly Kelby), started backing boxes this past weekend. It makes moving feel that much more real, and closer. Technically I have less than a month left in Texas. 4 weeks and 2 days before myself, mom, Heidi, Skipper, and Sophie start a cross-country drive. You may ask, what is Kelby doing? He and his mom will be driving a large moving truck in 2 days. NOT what I wanted to do with a baby and 2 dogs. And with my organized brain, I have written lists upon lists of what we need to do, who we need to see, who needs our new address, while packing and determining what will go where (to storage or to be used in the next month or so).

I try to keep life in perspective. When I am over-tired, or can't seem to comfort Heidi, or get stressed over money, I tell myself that others have so many more serious challenges. I don't want to minimize my life and experiences, but I know many people where life is more challenging. I choose to read blogs about parents raising children with disabilities. I also choose to remember the many the families that I worked with, and their stories which range from infant loss, micro-prematurity, Autism, Down Syndrome, CP, etc. - their struggles are significant. I also remember the lessons I learned from them (it was a 2-way street), and to appreciate what I have and what I have been entrusted with. A healthy daughter, an ability to pay bills (praying this continues by Kelby getting a job), a supportive family, a church family, and God.

Pray for smooth doctor appointments tomorrow. Heidi has her 4 month check-up, with shots, and Skipper goes back to the vet to see how his blood pressure is doing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment