About Me

NY, United States

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

8 minutes... really?

I was at Firestone early this morning, and by early I mean 7:30am, as this was while Heidi was sleeping, and they are not backed up at this time of day. While there, I amused myself with the recent issue of Family Fun magazine. An article shocked me, and here is one quote "Kids average fewer than 8 minutes of unstructured outdoor play a day." I had to go back and read it a second time, out of disbelief. Yes, I know many kids spend too much time with electronics, but really, only 8 minutes? Crazy!!! Currently living in Texas, and working with families, I noticed how parents tend to have kids play outside only in perfect weather. The summers are too hot, and the winters are "too cold/windy." By taking away "imperfect" weather conditions, parents limited outside time. It's unfortunate, and sad. Kids learn so much through independent play, and how to self-entertain.

Outside time is something I will make a priority in my parenting of Heidi. Already, I take Heidi outside. Some days, it is to the dog park, or on a walk with the stroller. Other mornings (before 10am, and in the shade) I take a blanket and spread it on the grass, and Heidi looks around, with the dogs nearby.

Here's a picture of Heidi in my parent's backyard. Look how green and beautiful it is! And notice that Heidi is enjoying this "unstructured" time.

Heidi - 2 months

2 comments:

  1. why can't other people comment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm truly a lucky man to have such a beautiful wife and daughter!

    ReplyDelete