About Me

NY, United States

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

What I actually used out of my hospital bag

I was ultra-organized while pregnant, and preparing for everything that comes along with a baby. I had my bag packed for a least 2 months in advance. And repacked the closer my due-date came.

In the end, I only used about a 4th of what I packed. And I wanted to remember, for the future.

Here's my much paired down list

- wallet (insurance card, cash, drivers license)
- glasses
- contacts, contact solution, case
- toothbrush and toothpaste
- deodorant
- hair brush
- hair bands
- bathrobe
- socks
- tablet, charger
- cell phone, charger
- camera, charger
- medications
- crackers
- comfy pajamas - tank tops, shorts, loose pants
- nursing bra
- outfit to go home in (can be appropriate pj's), plus sneakers
- car seat
- outfit for baby
- infant nail clippers (hospital does not have)
- suitcase to put everything inside (does this go without saying?)

The hospital provided everything Heidi needed. If I had wanted her to wear something else, or be wrapped in a different blanket, that would have been ok, but I didn't have that need. Their hat was cute enough, so she remained in that. She used their wipes, shampoo, diapers.

The hospital also gave me unlimited juice and crackers, but I liked having my own crackers as well. The salt tasted good! They provided all the sanitary items I needed, and funky underwear to go along with it. There was a cute bag of shampoo and conditioner (I didn't even need a razor, there was no way I was bending over that long!). I was given plenty of pillows and blankets, so didn't need any of my own. Between visitors and the baby, I didn't need any other entertainment besides the TV when I couldn't sleep, and the computer for Facebook. I wrote a birth plan, but threw it out before we even left for the hospital. I came to the conclusion that the nurses and doctors would talk to me directly and not stop to read a piece of paper. And obviously I wanted a "normal" birth, so that went without needing to be written down. I ended up having to be convincing that I didn't want drugs, but the nurses and doctor listened to me. All in all, a very good experience for my first over-night hospital stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment