About Me

NY, United States

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Am I a hippie?

I've been doing a bunch of research on ways to save money, and to be healthier. With my job, I see so many negative things that happen. If there is something within my power to control, manipulate, decrease exposure to, or change, I want to. Thus, this idea emerged....

Homemade laundry detergent. For years now I have used a brand with no fragrance, no perfumes or dyes, due to allergies. But I sure don't like the price.

Yesterday, I conviced Kelby we should try to make our own detergent. He is not convinced, but went along for now. He believes the clothes will come out dirty. I said we could try it on towels and sheets first. As we walked through the store, he said that I am now a hippie....what do you think?

But the process was so easy! I grated a specific kind of soap (Fels Naptha) , and then melted it in water. In a large bucket, added 3 gallons of hot water, the melted soap, Borax (1/2 cup) and Washing Soda (1 cup)  (NOT baking soda). Mixed everything together, let it sit overnight, and now we have a huge tub of laundry detergent. The best part - Kelby even helped me with the mixing. He wanted to ensure that I wasn't doing anything (too) funky.

Price, including the bucket, was $12, for around 3.5 gallons of laundry detergent. The boxes of Borax and Baking Soap are still mostly full. If, I mean when, we know this works, to make a future batch all I will need to buy is the bar of soap, less than $2.

I'm excited. Will let you know the results... have to wait for some dirty towels. haha

No comments:

Post a Comment