About Me

NY, United States

Monday, July 9, 2012

A Great Snack

Soft Pretzels
4 1/2 c. flour
1 1/2 c. warm water
2 t. kosher salt
1 T. sugar
1 package yeast (2 1/4 t.)
2 oz. melted butter

Combine the water, sugar and kosher salt in a bowl or stand mixer and sprinkle yeast on top. Let sit 5 minutes until it begins to foam. Add flour and butter and knead 4-5 minutes. Oil a bowl and put dough in when done. Cover and let rise 45-55 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bring 10 c. water to a boil with 2/3 c. baking soda. Break off small amounts of dough and roll into a snake-like coil. Shape it into a pretzel form and place into boiling water for about 30 seconds each. Remove and place on greased baking sheets. Beat 1 egg mixed with 1 T. water and brush on the pretzels. Sprinkle kosher salt on and bake for 10-12 minutes. When they are lightly browned, they are done.

I have loved soft pretzels for years and years. But haven't bought them recently because I'm trying to stay away from processed foods. But then I came across this recipe, and just had to try it. And they worked. I have cooked for long enough that I should no longer be surprised when a recipe works as planned, but I was still surprised.

I am super excited that these worked. YUMMMMYYY!!! It was a large batch, so I froze some of them. Kelby wasn’t as excited as I was, but that’s ok. It will be a great snack for me J

No comments:

Post a Comment