About Me

NY, United States

Monday, February 13, 2012

Sophie


I watched Sophie play last night. She was interested in a towel on the floor that we use to wipe dirty and muddy paws. Sophie grabbed the towel in her mouth and pulled it across the floor. The towel is larger than herself and almost as heavy. It was fun watching her, but it also brought to mind an activity I use at work with kids who have sensory issues and need more input into their bodies. Sometimes we recommend the child do "heavy work" activities which involves pulling/moving/carrying heavy objects. This gives the child an appropriate release for their energy. It also gives the child information as to where their body is in space. Sophie needed to release energy, which she did!

And on another note, I finally gave Sophie a much needed haircut. After talking with others who have Schnausers, we did not Sophie to be shaved, as it makes their hair stiffer and not as soft. Also, as you can guess, I didn't want to pay for a true grooming session. So one night this past week, I took my embroidery scissors (they are the sharpest ones I own) and we sat on the floor and I cut and cut and cut. And when I thought I was done, I cut and cut and cut some more. Over an hour later, Sophie no longer looked straggled and disorganized, and I had a huge pile of hair on the floor. I decided to keep her beard long under her chin, and primarily gave her a puppy cut everywhere else. Now she is even cuter... if that is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment