About Me

NY, United States

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Funny Story

Heidi has become very intrigued in her surroundings, and is exploring boundaries. A current interest is the dogs food and water bowl. I've told her "no" before, using a stern voice, while showing her the sign for "no" but she continues to gravitate toward the bowl when she is on the floor. She has even moved obstacles aside in order to reach the bowl.

The other day, I decided enough was enough. It was time to put all my work skills to work. I let her crawl over to the bowl, and as she went to touch it, I told her "no" and pulled her a few feet away. She crawled forward to try and touch it again, and I repeated "no" and pulled her away. We repeated this over, and over, and over.... 21 times to be exact. On the 22nd time, instead of crawling over to the bowl, she crawled over to me and started to cry. She formed some new neuron connections, and started to learn!

I didn't think she would fully understand and remember after just this experience, so the following day we repeated the activity. This time, it only took her 15 tries before becoming distracted with another toy.

Fast forward to today, and as she started to crawl over to the bowl, I told her "no" and she turned, looked at me, and stopped moving. She thought for a minute, and then crawled past in order to reach a dog toy. Not that I want her putting the dog toys in her mouth, but that is better than the dog food!

Success!

and now for many more teachable moments.

And a totally unrelated picture... a walk in a park the other day resulted in this picture. It's a Texas sized leaf, transplanted to NY!!! Picture taken by Grandma, with her new camera

Heidi


No comments:

Post a Comment