About Me

NY, United States

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

We love to read

At the beginning of Labor Day Weekend, I went to the library to check out a few books. Well, me and the library get along very well. Because instead of finding just a couple of books, I came away with 8. EIGHT!!!And now, a week and a half later, they are all finished, and enjoyed.

Four of the books were by Janette Oke, A Prairie Legacy. These are Christian Fiction, set around 100 years ago. I love this time period, where there was not a dependence on technology and life was part of nature, not separated.

Two books were on foster care children. I work with a lot of foster kids in my job, so I purposely looked for books to broaden my understanding of their circumstances.  Hope's Boy by Andrew Bridge is a non-fiction book. So very powerful and an intimate true story. I didn't want the story to end. The next book was Between Sundays by Karen Kingsbury. This is a fiction book; however the emotions that course the book are real.

Now on to Autism, and the struggles families go through. Not My Boy! by Rodney Peete is another non-fiction book. This was an interesting, and unique perspective of raising a child on the Autism Spectrum. Rodney Peete was an NFL member. Reading how he tried to balance his job with his child was helpful. A Child's Journey Out Of Autism by Leeann Whiffen, a non-fiction book, described the lengths parents will travel in order to help their children. There was a large emphasis on ABA therapy, and the possible link between vaccines and Autism. However, research has shown there is no causal link. Still a good book written from a parent's perspective, along with the stress a diagnosis places on a family.

What's next, you ask? Wait and see :)

No comments:

Post a Comment