About Me

NY, United States

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Why I read ingredient labels on food items

We were given a container of Greek Yogurt, Vanilla and Honey flavored. It tasted great, and I put the yogurt into the same molds that the fudge pops were made in (yes, the fudge pops are all done, including the second batch!). I enjoy frozen yogurt, as it can taste like ice cream, with more health benefits.

I happened to look at the ingredient label, and was shocked by what I read! Most people feel that Greek Yogurt is a healthy option, but buyer beware! This yogurt has 280 calories per cup. Which makes it the same caloric count as ice cream, which can come in at 140ish calories per 1/2 cup. Wow. The fat (14grams) and sugar (32 grams) content was way high, and there was only 6 grams of protein per serving. Now compare to my non-fat plain Greek Yogurt, which comes in at 120 calories per cup, 0g of fat, 9g of sugar, and 23g of protein. Yes, that is almost 50% of daily amount of protein!

Yes, the flavored Greek yogurt tastes better, but not enough for all those calories, fats, and sugars. I'll stay with my non-fat, plain Greek yogurt, and add to it such things as: fruit, granola, honey, or into a smoothie.

Healthier doesn't mean less flavor! Just smarter choices :)

No comments:

Post a Comment