About Me

NY, United States

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Unexpectedly stressful Day

The day started out with a phone call to my sister. She had been on nights at the hospital, so early morning was a time I thought I could catch her on the phone. I explained that Heidi had gone almost 4 days without a bowel movement, and she encouraged me to call the pediatrician. I'm thankful I listened to her, as Heidi became more and more uncomfortable as the day progressed. The pediatrician said that breast-milk babies typically have a bowel movement between 5 times a day to once every 5 days. But since every 4 days was not typical for Heidi, she didn't feel good, and he suggested a glycerin suppository and apple juice. Therefore, Heidi received her first taste of juice! She sucked down 2 ounces faster than I expected. The suppository took 2 hours before we saw the effects. She filled up a diaper, but that is manageable. Oh, but I did put a disposable diaper on her to make things easier!

And my other big event, is that for a while now, I've been thinking that Skipper hasn't been doing well. Nothing that I could put my finger on, as he was still eating normally, and became excited for walks or the park. But he was lagging near the end of walks. And seemed to sleep in one spot on the couch more frequently. So I packed up Heidi, Skipper, Sophie, and myself for a trip to the vet. Not good news, which did not come as a surprise as we had a heart x-ray back in December. Skipper's heart is beating too fast, and his blood pressure is super high. An EKG showed irregular beats. He started on medication to make his heart beat slower but stronger, and to reduce his blood pressure. We have to go back in a week to make sure the kidneys aren't negatively affected by the medicine. I'm hopeful this will work. At the same time, I need to be realistic and acknowledge that this is pretty serious. Boo. I'll be giving Skipper some extra cuddles and treats.

Side note, Sophie went because I needed the vet techs to cut her nails. She cries and squeals and screams, and it isn't worth the stress of Kelby and myself trying. Instead, I let them hold her as she cried, squealed, and screamed. Through the door, I could her them telling her it was okay, but she wasn't believing them!

And since too many words without pictures tends to bore people, here are a few pictures.
Heidi entertained by Sophie.

4th of July, my birthday, Heidi's 1st parade, 2 freaked out dogs.


No comments:

Post a Comment